Bella!

Bella!

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Sparkle in her soul.....


 
Can you see the sparkle in her soul?  I can…. unending curiosity, determination, and comical happiness.   I could go on and on about her!  I Love her.  No apologies.   There is not a moment- even when she is being the independent free spirited Ridgeback that she is - that I don’t just marvel at how fast she is becoming my best friend.  Now, let me preface that with the fact that I have had and still have some very dear friends – and I adore my children and husband.  But there is something about the unconditional love from your pet that transcends all prejudice and judgment.  It is just pure love.  This blog could be just about Bella, but there is another dimension that I would like to share.

Can you see the sparkle in her soul?  You may think you see her face over a mountain or peeking out of a forest. The spirit of your sense of place can be elusive.  But oh when you find her – you will definitely know!!

I have not really touched a lot on this subject yet, because I have so much to say about my beloved Ridgeback Bella, but always in the back of my mind, I dream about how wonderful it would be to be doing __________ (insert the activity here) in Vermont.  Living in both the Northeast, South & Midwest has afforded me the opportunity to be part of communities that are as diverse as they are alike.  Each location has had its natural beauty, incredibly kind individuals and more than enough opportunities if you were willing to go for it.  The time spent in each place is loaded with treasured memories for all of my family.  Each one has their personal best location as well as the not so great from the list.  Undeniably each and every home has been part of the destiny and fabric of our lives.    

While living and staying in any one of these locations would have been perfectly suitable and for many these places are their forever.  What about those who are still looking - still restless, disconnected - but just can’t understand why – it could be that you have not found your sense of place. 

 I only visited Vermont as a child, then again as a young adult, more interested in skiing and having a party then understanding the resonating pulse of the community.  Growing up in the Northeast - up in the sticks as it was called, did lend me to develop certain affinities to a lot of the core attributes of what makes Vermont so special.  It was only after coming back to Vermont years later with my family for a vacation did I understand and recognize.  It was the feel of the sun on my face, the smell of the rain, the color of the sky in the morning and the rhythm of the woods.  It was like a bull horn screaming into my soul….look around….look at the eyes of the people who live here.  They were not desperate eyes searching.... they were content, albeit tired from a long day of work, but content.  Confident they had already found their sense of place.  Passed down for generations……they understood – and while doggedly protective of their heritage, so genuinely happy to share their bounty with those who would appreciate and understand.
 
 
Black River Meadows
 

You cannot force a sense of place – you can create comfort and security, but a true sense of place will have to find you.   When she does, she will fill you with spirit and joy, wonderment and enthusiasm.   Allows you childlike freedom of pure happiness and gives you the sustenance to go on through difficult times.   The ability to truly feel connected - a deep sense of belonging, my sense of place - Vermont. 
 Have you found yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment