Bella!

Bella!

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Boxing Day

Today is Boxing Day. Boxing Day is traditionally the day following Christmas Day, when tradesman would receive gifts, known as a "Christmas box", from their bosses.

It is also the day after Christmas.  Most families are still heady with the season, still cleaning up after their celebrations or just enjoying time with their loved ones.  Some might be secretly wishing it would be over, and everyone go home!

Christmas in my house has always been such a large celebration, loaded with lots of family, food and good cheer.  Most of the time... sometimes I have to admit that I too longed for the celebrations to end.  Not that I did not want to be with my family, it was just that I worried so much about the perfection of the day, I lost the quality of the moment. 

This year was a little different.  Very low key, small amounts of food, quiet celebration and lots of reflection.  Part of the reason is that we are not all together this year.  Many of my loved ones are scattered across the country or developing their own traditions as they get older.  Some have left us until we are together again.

Today I am noticing that it is Boxing Day, and I am reflecting how really special it was to have been so close to so many of my large diverse family.  Each one is a beautifully imperfect, wonderfully special gift, and I am grateful for being blessed with their love.   

Cherish each moment with your loved ones, for they are the true gift, and while some may be imperfect, each one is truly a lasting treasure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment